Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Welcome Home.


I'm back! It's been a bit, having spent some time at Alchemy: The Georgia Burn. (For more info on Alchemy go here: http://www.alchemyfestival.com/ for more information on Burns in general, such as Burning Man, go here: http://www.burningman.com/) It was a much needed week spent with amazing people (mutants, the lot of them) and recharged my batteries to a degree that I cannot even begin to thank them for. In the meantime, however, it appears that things were afoot.

Regardless of your party line, or cultural demographic, the majority of Americans have been highly vocal in their displeasure with our current financial industry/system, and those whom have profited from the shortfalls our economy has faced. While I was gone, it appears that things were coming to ahead in the forms of protests and demonstrations in many major cities across our wonderful nation, the first (that I am currently aware of) being in New York City, New York. The title of the synchronized protests, "Occupy Wallstreet" denotes the origin and location of the original. For more information on this, please go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Wall_Street

For the viewpoint of the original protestors, please visit here:

http://occupywallst.org/

Now, as a member of the Armed Forces, I am not legally allowed to publicly endorse any political movement in a manner in which it would appear as if said movement were endorsed by the Armed Forces. However, I am not prevented from appearing at peaceful assemblies, as long as I do not do so in uniform. As a result, I will be participating in every fashion that does not violate the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, or the rights, freedoms, or safety of American Citizens, and those that are visiting this amazing land. I am also not prohibited from sharing hyperlinks with you, my tens of readers, and as such, will do so now:

http://occupymemphis.org/

Please, please, please read and become informed to the best of your knowledge. Don't just take someone else's word on this matter (I hate to point this out, but that's how predatory lending practices work; on the lack of understanding of the borrower.), do the research yourself, and learn what really happened. We cannot begin to move forward until we understand what was pulling us back in the first place.

-T

2 comments:

  1. All I can really think of when I read this is my boyfriend going, "Adventure Time is such hipster comedy," and then leaping away to Overton Park with you for a protest wearing a Luchador mask.

    Just saying.

    For the record, I am very much into movements that express general distaste in evil things, but I'm hardpressed to get terribly excited about anything involving a bunch of people flocking to a park so they can argue with each other about who is smarter "at democracy."

    Mortgages and credit lending are at the root of our problems here, which means the IRS and the Federal Reserve need to do a lot more REGULATION as always so that bailouts aren't NECESSARY. As it were I am having trouble getting angry about bailouts for companies that keep our economy on its dainty feet.

    On another note, great comic. You seem to have really found a good medium by which to express yourself, and it's funny as hell too.

    Which brings me to my next question: Are you done moping yet????

    Love,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm not done moping, damnit!

    I should note that a.> There is nothing hipster about defeating your opponent in a ring, removing his mask, and forcing him to walk the streets in shame without his fancy face-decoration. No ma'am, that's straight hardcore, yo.

    b.> The protest was not an argument over whom is "smarter at democracy", but a well-organized and well-resourced public forum about the changes that need to occur within our own country and economy, especially when it's our taxdollars at work. I should point out that when the bailouts occurred, to which I should note that this was the fault of those very corporations (ie: robbing whole countries of their hedge-fund, retirement, and penchon monies with toxic mortgage securities. You should see what they did not only to our own country, but to Iceland, and the European Union out of pure greed.) I did not get paid for two months, nor did many Soldiers and Marines. Why? Our money went to those responsible for the horrendous state we are currently in. What did they do with it? Large corporate bonuses, and retirement funds for those whom caused this in the first place. In the meantime, the dependents of military families, whom are not allowed to eat in the chow halls, many of which whose sponsor was deployed, went hungry and unable to pay for rent and basic utilities. How is this judicious use of our money?

    Those companies, I should also note, do not keep us on our feet. They stole billions and billions from everyone, and as a result are rewarded. It's like the old Eddie Izzard bit; kill one man, and we're appalled. Kill millions, and we're impressed. They took so much, and tore so many things apart, that it's night impossible to wrap our minds around it. As a result, they retire rich.

    But this is just me repeating facts, since I am officially not allowed to express an opinion on the situation. You should learn about the movement, though, and make decisions then.

    If nothing else, it'll be far easier to make fun of if you have the proper ammunition. :3

    ReplyDelete